Russell Brand has been charged with five sexual offences, including rape, indecent assault and oral rape, following an investigation by the Metropolitan police.
The charges relate to four separate women and span a period between 1999 and 2005. The Crown Prosecution Service confirmed that Brand, 50, has been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.
He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday 2 May.
The Metropolitan police said the alleged rape took place in the Bournemouth area in 1999. The indecent assault is reported to have occurred in Westminster in 2001. In a separate incident, also in Westminster, Brand is accused of orally raping and sexually assaulting a woman in 2004. The final charge alleges that a fourth woman was sexually assaulted in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.
The investigation began in September 2023 after a number of allegations were reported to police, following a joint investigation by Channel 4’s Dispatches and The Sunday Times.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the case, said the women who came forward have continued to receive support from specially trained officers. “The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police,” he said.
The Metropolitan police also issued a reminder about the legal restrictions around reporting on active criminal cases. The public and press have been urged to follow guidance from the Attorney General’s Office to avoid breaching the Contempt of Court Act.

Brand has previously denied allegations of sexual misconduct, which surfaced last year following the media investigation. At the time, he posted a video denying the claims, stating all his past relationships were consensual.
The charges mark a significant development in a case that has reignited conversations around celebrity, power, and the treatment of women who come forward with allegations against well-known public figures.
Support for survivors is available through Rape Crisis, which operates a 24/7 helpline. The police have also provided a dedicated email address for anyone affected or with relevant information to contact investigators directly.
The case is ongoing.